Thursday, October 27, 2011

Family Branding

This past weekend my father held his annual branding at his ranch. It is a good excuse for everyone to get together, have some laughs and a great lunch. I love watching my dad, husband and all our friends and family in action roping and branding. I have one job at these brandings; make sure everyone is well fed. Since I'm not that great on a horse, I cant rope to save my life and giving anyone or thing a shot makes me want to faint I stick to the one thing I know best...food! My resources are limited however, I had a table, camp stove and open fire to prepare lunch with. I decided to make my homemade baked beans (Ive been perfecting this recipe all summer) marinated flank steak, and a few other sides. After you try this recipe you wont want to eat baked beans out of a can ever again!

Ingredients:

4 cans white beans
4 strips bacon (diced)
1 yellow onion
2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
6 oz beer (I like blue moon)
1 cup brown sugar
8 oz tomato sauce
2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tbsp. brown mustard
garlic salt and creole seasoning to taste


These are the beans I use, they are harder to find in some stores so a visual will help.



First crisp your bacon pieces in the pan, then add onion and garlic, cook until tender.  Add your beer to the pan and scrape the yummy bits from the bacon off the bottom while its cooking down.
After the beer has cooked down a little add the rest of the ingredients and let simmer for at least 45 minutes. It will become darker in color and nice and thick. The longer you let it simmer/sit the better it gets so it is a great dish to make a head of time! 



Here are a few pictures from the day :)

 

  My adorable niece...I just love her to pieces!!  
                                                                     Dad branding

My handsome hubby :)

No comments:

Post a Comment